Saturday, February 10, 2018

I went to Google and it changed my life.

Yes I get that title is a little overdone, however it speaks so much truth. I went to Google a week ago and it literally changed my life.

As Arkansas Teacher of the Year, I was invited to an Induction Ceremony hosted by CCSSO in San Francisco...and Google hosted us. So I, along with 54 other state/territory teachers of the year, met for the first time in Palo Alto and would spend approximately 14 hours a day together for the next 3 days. Complete strangers coming together to share stories and talk education. It didn't take long before complete strangers became cohorts and partners in change.

After much reflection about my experience...I have decided to break my blog posts into three parts because I feel this experience changed me in 3 specific ways.

1. Relationships
2. Professional Growth
3. Personal Growth


First....let's talk relationships.

I cannot describe the feeling of arriving at a hotel in Palo Alto and riding down the elevator to meet my new National Teacher of the Year family for our meet and greet reception. The people I would spend my next year of life with. The people that will be along side me as I take on my new role and responsibilities. And it was like the first day of school in junior high. I was completely overwhelmed with nervousness and fear that I would have no one to talk to. Walking into the lobby which was bustling with excitement and standing on the edge of group looking in, I felt completely vulnerable. I imagine this is how many students feel the first day of school. I secretly prayed that someone...anyone...would approach me and strike up a conversation.

And thankfully...someone did. And then someone else did...and eventually I began to feel a part of the tribe. It was very obvious that most others were experiencing the same fears and feelings as well. Over the next few days we began to connect and converse and bond. We supported each other and cheered each other on. We laughed and cried and even danced. I met some amazing teachers. The kinds of teachers I strive to be...the kinds of teachers that lead and blaze new trails. The kinds of teachers that inspire me.


I met Melissa from Montana, Becky from Idaho, and Erin from Connecticut and they quickly became my homies. We connected instantly and clung to each other for comfort in new situations. We laughed entirely too much for folks that just met. Melissa...our sweet politician...who has amazing hair and shares my same enthusiasm for caricaturists.  Becky...oh sweet Becky...her sarcasm and quick wit captured my heart right away. Erin...my fellow newbie traveler...who amazed us all with her techie note taking and ability to be the calm to our storm. And they all 3 have such passion for their students. I am so excited to learn from them.


I met Lisa from North Carolina, Rachel from South Dakota, and Sara from Wyoming...the other 3 kindergarten teachers. We instantly shared a bond as the only kinder teachers and we all are the voice of early education. I cannot wait to learn from them.


I met Joshua from Arizona who validated me right when I needed it and Ben from Alaska who taught me about scientific literacy and Michael from Pennsylvania who amazed me with his 5 clues project that I have already borrowed for my own classroom. I met Jinni from Delaware whose excitement for education fueled my fire and developed into a classroom connection between our two classes.

I could go on and on and on. Every single person I met inspired me. As those 3 days wrapped up, I was sad to realize that for every awesome teacher I connected with, there was another I missed. I have already made my list for our next event so that I can continue to connect with these amazing people who represent our nation!

It really is a unique experience to have a group of people come together as complete strangers and leave 3 days later as friends. I have spent my time since being home continuing to connect with them as we are all navigating our roles. I am thankful to have them all by my side for this insane ride.

Part two coming soon...professional growth!

No comments :

Post a Comment