Sunday, February 11, 2018

Part TWO- Professional Growth

So in my last post I wrote about the relationships piece of my experience at Google. In this post I'm focusing on my professional growth.

So over those few days I heard Sal Kahn (founder of The Kahn Academy) tell his story. Wow...it was a doozy. He was so focused and driven on accomplishing his goal. Just so impressed.

Andy Goodman taught me how to utilize storytelling to ignite change and how to sculpt my stories to being more impactful.


Two representative from TEDed taught us how to pick a topic and develop that topic into a Ted Talk. We will be piloting a new program that will result in us giving our own Ted Talk...turbo yikes! For this project we partner up with someone to bounce ideas off of and cheer each other on.


I taught a 5 minute lesson to a room full of other elementary teachers and got to hear their lessons as well. I took 7 pages of notes. Literally. 7 pages. These folks are incredible.

I learned of the history the Teacher of the Year program and felt pride fill every ounce of my being to be a part of this amazing group of people.

I visited The Primary School which is founded by Pricilla Chan (wife of Facebook founder Mark Zuckerburg). This school focuses on serving homeless and severely impoverished students ages 3-5. The school takes a holistic approach to including families and community into the classroom. It focuses on three areas of growth/development academic, soul, and health/wellness. I got to observe in several classrooms and meet some precious kiddos.


I learned how to navigate various forms of media.

I expanded my knowledge of equity and parent/community engagement.

However, the most impactful thing I did was to listen to my fellows STOYS and engage in "edu-talk" with them. I felt like I gained more knowledge in those 3 days than I did in years of college work. I came home with a book full of notes, several new professional texts, and ideas swirling galore.


And this is only the beginning!

Stay tuned for part 3...personal growth...coming soon!

No comments :

Post a Comment