Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Hillcrest School District

I had the privilege of visiting Hillcrest School District yesterday for their annual food drive kickoff. I was invited by a high school friend who runs the weekend food backpack program along with her husband. As parents at the school, they organize the weekly food bags that help keep 65 students fed throughout the district.







The food drive kickoff yesterday was an awesome event for all students K-12 and the highlight of the day was a full concert by ACMA artist of the year Cory Jackson. He treated the students to a variety of songs, signed autographs, and stayed to take pictures with each kiddo that wanted one.

Afterwards I got to tour the K-6 building...I got to see a 4th grade classroom that has two teachers that co-teach together. One teaches ELA and one math...the greatest benefit is that one is a first year teacher who gets support all day from a more seasoned teacher.


I met a mother and her two daughters who all teach in the district. One who teaches an art and agri crossover class.


I had the opportunity to read aloud to two precious kindergarten classes.


During my time there I witnessed the principal participating alongside a kindergarten class in P.E, I saw student council students who were responsible for introducing the guest speakers and for giving me the tour, I saw parents and teachers who work together to ensure each child has enough to eat.


I got to tour the food pantry where I learned that each child takes home a cake mix and icing on their birthday and the kids who are graduating get a spaghetti dinner sent home.




What stuck out the most about this district is that although it is small in size...it has a huge heart. The culture of the school is felt everywhere. I observed students supporting and celebrating each other, teachers who spoke about each other with an incredible amount of respect and admiration, a principal and curriculum coordinator that were fully involved in each aspect of the school, parents willing to give of their time to help students...it felt like one giant family working toward a common goal. I left feeling inspired and fulfilled and utterly impressed.


No comments :

Post a Comment