Wednesday, January 9, 2019

That moment.

These folks in this photo were strangers less than a year ago...and over this past year have become family. As incredible and exciting as this past weekend at the College Football Championship was...it was also incredibly bittersweet as our year of traveling together came to an end. This journey together is one that only those who have experienced it can truly understand.


One year ago in California, we stood in a room together for the first time...in a circle...as we each stated our names and proclaimed "I am the 2018 (insert state) Teacher of the Year." That first night our voices shook with uncertainty. Each one of us questioning our place in that circle. Each one nervous and unsure. I remember feeling overwhelmed by the talented teachers who stood around me and rolling my eyes as we were told our lives would be changed forever over course of the next year.



 However, it didn't take a year for my life to change. It only took 4 days. By the end of that first event, I knew the people in that circle would be an important part of my life.

Over this past year we came together every few months...in DC to learn about educational policy and for White House honors, in Alabama for Space Camp, in New Jersey to learn how to maneuver the next steps of our journey, in New York to see three of us stand on the stage at TED Ed,  and back to California to be honored at this football game. Each event brought us closer together and strengthened this bond we created.





This past Monday as we stood on the field at the College Football National Championship game, I looked back and saw us...standing in a line...dressed in our regal black attire...each person standing more confidently in their title than they did the year before. At that moment I realized the impact of this journey ending...knowing that this moment was the last time we would all be standing together...and that moment completely and utterly overwhelmed me. At that moment I felt completely humbled to be a part of this incredible group...I felt sadness as I knew we would disperse soon...I felt incredibly proud of the work we all accomplished...and excited for our work to continue.


That moment...standing on that field...I stood among the most outstanding educators in the nation...my friends...my state teacher family. And I will miss them.

3 comments :

  1. Truer words have never been spoken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending love all around the continental US to our state teacher family.

    ReplyDelete